Ibérica on St Vincent Street is the best place in the city centre to eat like a Spaniard. We visit often, usually for some cured meats and robust cheeses at the delicatessen counter and a glass of red wine. There is also a comfortable dining room and elegant bar to enjoy tasty tapas.
Ibérica’s Executive Head Chef, Nacho Manzano has two Michelin stars to his name for his celebrated restaurant Casa Marcial and a further star for La Salgar, both based in Asturias in the North West of Spain.
He’s worked alongside Group Head Chef César García to construct a dazzling a la carte menu that changes seasonally and is brimming with showstopping recipes that allow the flavours and textures of the produce to take centre stage.
The local team here in Glasgow, lead by head Chef Sergio Olmedo and General Manager Lukas Krischki, have recently introduced a new menu for spring.
Try a taste of Spain at home with this delicious recipe for croquetas de Jamón
Ibérica’s classic Croquetas de Jamón
120 gr Serrano Ham
200 gr flour
Pinch of salt
1 litre beaten eggs
1 litre fine breadcrumbs
2 litres whole milk
150 ml olive oil
200 gr unsalted butter
Sunflower oil for deep frying
1. Heat the milk until simmering.
2. Melt the butter over a very low flame in a separate saucepan.
3. Dice the ham and add it to the butter. Stir in the flour and mix to a basic roux.
4. Whisk in the hot milk a little at a time.
5. Bring to the boil whisking continuously to prevent lumps.
6. Cook this for about 30-45 mins and add the salt.
7. Pour the sauce into a container, leave to cool then cover with cling film and chill for 24 hours.
Shaping and breading croquetas:
8. Oil both your palms.
9. Scoop the croquetas mix in to your hands and shape.
10. Coat with beaten egg and roll it in the breadcrumbs until fully coated.
11. Repeat until all the mixture if finished and keep in the fridge for a few hours before frying.
12. Place sunflower oil in a pan, heat to about 180 degrees.
13. Deep fry the croquetas for about 2 mins or until they are golden brown on all sides.
14. Drain off any extra fat on to an absorbent paper and serve immediately.