Sweet treats are an essential part of Easter Sunday and today the cake table at Three Sisters Bake cafes in Killearn and Quarrier’s Village will be loaded with Chocolate Guinness cake topped with mini eggs, creme egg brownies and homemade hot cross buns.
At Three Sisters Bake, the chefs and bakers prepare soups, salads, cakes and sharing platters from scratch using fresh, quality ingredients from local suppliers.
Here’s Gillian, Nichola and Linsey Reith’s recipe for perfect creme egg brownies.
Cadbury’s Creme Egg Brownies
Makes 20 brownies
225g unsalted butter
225g dark chocolate chips (we use 53% Belgian chocolate)
4 large eggs
100g plain flour
10 Creme eggs, cut in half
1. Grease and line a 24 x 34 cm tin (9” x 13”). Preheat the oven to 160 °C
2. Place the butter and chocolate in a heat proof bowl over a pot of simmering water, making sure that the bowl is not touching the water. Stir occasionally until the butter and chocolate have melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. Beat the eggs and sugar together until thick, glossy and paler in colour – this can take up to 5 minutes.
4. Pour the cooled chocolate mixture over the egg mousse and gently fold in.
5. Now sieve the flour and cocoa into the mixture and fold in.
6. Pour the brownie mixture into the prepared tin. Using a spatula ease the mixture out into the corners and level out.
7. Place into the pre-heated oven and bake for 25 minutes.
8. Remove the tray from the oven and place the Creme Egg halves on top of the brownie mix, pressing down gently to partially insert the eggs into the brownie. Put back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes.
Optional Extras: Add cherries, nuts or chocolate chips
Creme egg brownies will be in the cake cabinets at Three Sisters Bake in Killearn and Quarrier’s Village today and tomorrow, while stock lasts.
Lunchtime! Hot smoked salmon open sandwich with beetroot, dill and walnut pate on soda bread and a brie, spinach and pine nut quiche with one of our current seasonal salads- barely, kale, squash and kale pesto!👏 #seasonalspecials #localproduce #eattheseasons #seasonalhero #eatbalanced #healthyeating #glasgow #cafe #eatscottish #eattherainbow