Chicken chain restaurant Nando’s are planning to move into the A-Listed Botanic Gardens garage building on Vinicombe Street in the West End. The Art Deco structure was built from 1906 – 1912. It was designed by David V. Wyllie, and has a distinctive façade of green and white glazed terracotta tiles. Now Nando’s has lodged plans for outside seating at a new restaurant as part of a redevelopment.
The Edwardian building is owned by car dealership Arnold Clark, who announced plans to convert the site into three restaurants and a gym. At the time, Lee Ann Edison, Head of Communications for Arnold Clark, said:
“We’re pleased to announce that our historical Vinicombe Street site will be redeveloped for the benefit and enjoyment of the local community. This decision has been reached after much careful consideration and close consultation with many interested parties in Glasgow’s West End, including Historic Scotland and Glasgow City Council.
“We have taken many years to arrive at a decision that we feel benefits the area in terms of adding more high-end amenities to the West End. We are investing a large sum of money in the conservation of its façade* and of the other significant architectural features of the building.
“This multi-million pound investment will secure the legacy of this historic building for future generations. We feel this mixed development adds to the fabric of the West End and complements the pedestrianisation of Vinicombe Street by adding new amenities and services to the area.
“This investment will involve a mix of premium restaurants run by both national and local operators, as well as car parking, a gym and community space. We are also retaining the historic element of the ramp.”
A planning application has now been lodged by Nando’s for their new restaurant on Vinicombe Street, as reported by Glasgow West End Today.